The Biblical / Historical Background of a Deacon
Acts 6:1-7 is the passage often cited for the beginning of the office of deacon in the early Christian church. Though the seven who were elected were not specifically called "deacons" in the technical sense, they nonetheless functioned as deacons. The office of deacon probably grew out of this experience.
Without belaboring all of the details of the Acts 6 passage, let's look at the purpose for which these men were selected. One reason they were chosen was to solve a problem that arose among the church fellowship. They were called upon to preserve the harmony of the church. Another reason was to free the apostles to give full attention to prayer and the ministry of the Word (v. 4).
The position of deacon in Acts 6 is an elected one. A deacon should certainly feel led to serve in that position; however the initiation of that commitment rests in the hands of the local church. It is not a position to which one appoints oneself.
The Deacon Ministry at First Baptist Woodstock can be summarized in one word, service. Our main priority is follow the Biblical mandate to take care of the widows & orphans in our church community.
Qualifications of a Deacon
A deacon at First Baptist Church of Woodstock lives a life that is consistent with the scriptures found in 1 Timothy 3:1-13 and Titus 1: 5-9. Please give prayerful consideration to these passages, “examining yourselves, whether you be in the faith,” (II Corinthians 13:5) as you pray about the Lord’s will.
• Man worthy of respect
• Not indulging in wine
• Not pursuing dishonest gain
• Man who keeps hold of the deep truths of the faith with a clear conscience
• Man who is tested (examined by the Deacon Nominating Committee)
• The husband of one wife
• Man whose wife has similar qualifications
• Man whose family is well cared for and family relationships are healthy and growing
• Faithful Sunday School Member
• Participates in the services and ministries of the church
• Will participate in deacons activities and perform the deacon responsibilities
Requirements of a Deacon
Deacons at First Baptist Woodstock serve a 3 year term and then must take a 1 year hiatus before going through the nomination process to serve another term.
In order for a candidate for deacon to be considered they must first meet the following qualifications:
1. The candidate must be a member of First Baptist Church of Woodstock for one year or longer by June 2019.
2. The candidate must be 21 years old or older.